-
August 21st, 2006, 05:33 PM
#1
Inactive Member
I am about to buy a camera, and I would like some input on the difference between a pro-8 and just a regular super 8 camera. Is the Nikon R10 comparable to something like a Bauer s 709 xl, and what about the canon 814 xl or 1014 xl? Did canon make a different camera simply called a 1014 (without the xl)?
When it comes to camera choice, how much regard should be paid to the accessories that come with the camera? Will a Bauer need mostly parts from Germany, or can I find these parts at any camera store?
In other words, should I avoid the Bauer because it's more expensive and harder to find accessories?
And where expense is concerned, should any of these cameras be more expensive than the others?
Thanks.
-
August 21st, 2006, 06:22 PM
#2
HB Forum Moderator
Hello Jack.
I'll give you the simplest shortest explanationfor now. Most Super-8 cameras that had 4 digits in their model number were considered the highest end camera for that particular camera model.
Example, Canon 1014-XLS, Nizo 6080, Elmo 1012XLS,
The next highest quality cameras many times were in the 800 series. Nizo 800, Canon 814 XLS.
The non XLS cameras, tended to have f 1.8 maximum lens stop openings versus the 1.2 to 1.4 found on many XLS cameras.
Many peopole like the Canon 1014XL, although I'm a fan of the 814XLS or 1014 XLS. Parts are not available and finding repair technicians is next to impossible.
The good news is the cameras tend to sell for not much money so owing more than one is not necessarily going to bankrupt a filmmaker.
Anyone else with ideas to contribute?
-
August 21st, 2006, 08:35 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Alex,
Thanks for the response, I think this is a great forum by the way, and when possible, I will contribute.
What I really want to know is which camera gives me the most, and your answer didn't address the Bauer. I'm interested in buying a particular Bauer s 709 xl, and he's says it's a "pro" camera. Well, does "pro" indicate that it's better than any consumer camera?
Here is a table that shows the capabilities of the bauer s 709 xl. It shows f 1.2.
Is it possible that since the Bauer is German, it may not follow the same number system that the other cameras follow?
And I guess the real question that I'm asking about finding compatible parts was unclear in my original post. I'm not asking about repair, I'm asking about lenses, filters, matte boxes, jibs, steady cams, etc. If those items are really expensive, might I be better off buying a camera like this Nikon r10: Jack
are more available for a Nikon over a German camera like the Bauer, or are lenses and filters and such accessories generally available and compatible with any super 8 camera?
Thanks in advance.
------------------------------------
Hey Jack, Alex here, the links were very long and spanning and expanding acros this topic to the point where it was hard to read content. I tried to shorten the link via the URL button option but apparently the links have expired so I took them out so it would be easier to read the rest of the topic and the responses.
<font color="#FFFF00" size="1">[ December 28, 2006 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>
-
August 21st, 2006, 08:36 PM
#4
Inactive Member
-
August 21st, 2006, 09:00 PM
#5
HB Forum Moderator
As far I know all lenses use millimeters for their specification description so any accessory that relates to the lens will be just as easy to find for a German camera as it will for a Japanese camera or an American Camera. Most Super-8 cameras were made by either German companies or Japanese Companies.
hat primarily determines your cost for lens accessories will be the thread size of the camera lens. Once the thread size gets over 55mm, the filters and lens hoods tend to cost a bit more.
eBay usually has tons of filters very affordably priced in many different thread sizes. However it's not so bad buying filters from a camera store if you actually go into the store and show them your camera and see what they have, you may find they have helpful information to go along with your purchase, or they may no nothing about super-8 and be shocked that they are still being used at all.
Your visit to a camera store with your camera may even motivate the store to carry some super-8 film. Steadicam Jr's tend to work with lighter cameras. I heard that Spectra Film & Video has modified a Canon 1014XLS by reducing the weight which may make useable on a steadicam jr.
In terms of comparing the Bauer to the Canon, the one with the smaller filter size will cost less to buy accessories for, but keep in mind, if you plan on stacking filters you'll want to get at least one size bigger than the actual thread size of the camera lens so that you can stack a couple of filters together without seeing the filter edge in the camera picture area.
If you desire to use relatively low cost wide angle lenses, they require that the camera have a wide angle macro focus capability.
-
December 28th, 2006, 08:59 PM
#6
HB Forum Moderator
Hey, Jack, I was curious what you ended up doing, please let the forum know if you get a chance.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks